How will my student benefit from joining a fraternity or sorority?
Your student will encounter many advantages; some of these may include:
- A support system to help ease the adjustment to college and life after graduation
- Scholastic resources to help students achieve their academic goals
- Leadership skills acquired through hands-on experiences
- Encouragement to get involved, stay involved and maximize their potential on campus
- Opportunities for active participation in community service projects
How will joining a fraternity or sorority affect my student academically?
Academic success is one of the founding principles of fraternities and sororities. Chapters realize that academic achievement is the main priority of their members. Organizations promote scholarship by providing academic resources for their members including adviser support, study groups, scholarships and award recognition.
What is the financial obligation?
Chapters collect dues and membership fees from every member. Most organizations have one-time initiation fees, plus semester dues. Dues are spent on philanthropic events, social events, scholarship programming, membership recruitment and parent/alumni programming. Many chapters offer payment plans and scholarships to help their members meet their financial obligations.
What about hazing?
Hazing is contrary to the missions and values of fraternities and sororities. The state of Mississippi, the University of Mississippi, and all inter/national fraternities and sororities have policies against hazing.